Friday, February 13, 2009

Kenneth Malcom Carlson


One week ago from today, I got a call from Mom letting me know that Grandpa Carlson had passed away. On Thursday February 5, Grandpa went to sleep and did not wake up. He had gotten ill the weekend before, but was doing much better and back to his old self. But apparently his body had been through enough and it was time for him to go home.

I am so glad that over Christmas I was able to go up to Idaho to visit Grandpa Carlson with my parents. I know that for some of my siblings it had been years since they last saw him, so I felt privileged that I had that time with him.
Mom, Grandpa and me on my last visit over Christmas.

I am also glad that I was able to fly home for his funeral. On Monday, Mom and I drove up to Idaho for the viewing and stayed that night in a hotel. It was good that I could go up with Mom to support her during this hard time as my Dad had to teach late Monday night and so he could not make it until the funeral on Tuesday. It was great to see most of my cousins and their families - most I hadn't seen in many years.

Me, Aunt Jennifer, Aunt Vicki, cousin Sherrie, sister Cori, and cousin Stacy.
Me and my cousin Justin - I hadn't seen him in over 8 years.
Mom and her brothers and sister and their spouses (all except Uncle Kent who was still making is way over)
The pallbearers bringing over Grandpa's casket.
But this post is about Grandpa Carlson and not about me (for once). So here are ten things that I remember about this wonderful man:
1 - Growing up, whenever we came over, he would pat us on the head. But it wasn't your normal pat...it was pretty hard. I swear I shrunk an inch or two each time I visited.
2 - He made some of the best hotcakes and bacon. I loved when we'd stay over at Grandpa and Grandma Carlson's home because I knew I'd be eating well. He used only the best ingredients: whole milk and real bacon grease to cook the hotcakes in...mmmmmm.
3 - Grandpa and Grandma lived in this great house in Idaho Falls that had a laundry shoot which we would use as a mail-delivery service. The things we used to drop down that thing...
4 - Grandpa and Grandma had a winter home in Arizona that we would visit each spring break. I loved driving his golf cart around the ponds and going out and picking grapefruit and oranges off the tree for breakfast.
5 - Fishing with Grandpa was always fun. He would take us out on Henry's Lake in Island Park in his old orange boat where we would catch an amazing fish dinner for that night. He knew all the tricks - right where to park and how to "chum" the fish.
6 - He loved The Music Box Dancer and bribed all us grandchildren with $1000 to learn it perfectly. It had to be memorized and we had to play it for him with no mistakes. I was very nervous the day that he came to listen to me. I'm just glad that I passed on the first try. Some of my cousins had to do it a few times.
7 - Grandpa loved The Price is Right. He would watch it every morning. As it has always been a dream of mine to be on The Price is Right, I loved that he liked this show.
8 - I have never watched more golf than when I was at Grandpa's. Either golf, tennis, or baseball was always on when I would go visit. And he wouldn't turn off the TV when we came - he would just mute it. So I've watched a lot of silent sporting events at his house.
9 - He always had peanut M&M's or some other treat out in a candy dish. After he moved into the assisted living center he said that he always needed a good supply of these treats to entice the women to come visit him.
10 - Grandpa always took us to eat at Smitty's in Idaho Falls. It's a pancake and steak house. He sure did love that place.

Grandpa Carlson, I love you and miss you lots! But I know that you are happy in Heaven as you are walking around with Grandma. You lived a great life and there are many many people who love you dearly.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Great post Kris. It was great to see you too and we were glad that you could fly home again. I hope Utah is still home...maybe you truly are a NY girl now...let me know!