So now that I've made this blog private - I can say what I've been dying to write about for over a week now: the REAL update on my life.
I know I've been hinting at the fact that I'm not super excited about my job anymore - truth is I've decided to end my career at PwC in NY and move back home to Utah. When? you might ask...Dec. 20ish (still figuring out the exact details). This has actually been in the works for a while now and I decided moths ago that it was time to find a new job. The hard part is that I don't really want to leave NY (PwC: yes...NY: not so much). Granted there are things that I'm going to NOT miss about this city. But there is a long list of things that I will miss. But I'll save that for another post.
Now to the exciting part. What I'll be doing with my life once I leave my current one behind. Starting January 18th, I will be working at an orphanage in Costa Rica for 6 weeks! I've never been to Costa Rica, but I hear it's a wonderful place and I can't wait to immerse myself in that country's culture. There is a lot of poverty in that country, so I hope that I'll be able to make a difference - even if it's just a small one.
Here is some basic info on the program (all the things that I frequently get asked by friends and family when they hear what I'm doing):
- What group are you volunteering through: International Volunteer HQ - one of the best and cheapest ones I found during my research
- How much does it cost: NOYB! Hahaha! Just kidding. All inclusive, I'm looking at around $3,500.
- What will the work be: not 100% sure yet. I won't get my actual assignment until I am in Costa Rica. But I know that I will be working with children in some way (orphanage, kindergarten, soup kitchen, teaching)
- Where will you live: I'll live with a Costa Rican family near my assignment (most are about 30 minutes outside of San Jose). Other volunteers will be living in the house with me as well. The host family provides 3 meals a day and transportation to and from the assignments.
- Will you be able to see the sites: YES! I will be working Mon - Fri 8:30 - 3:30(ish) so I get nights and weekends to do what I want.
- Do you speak Spanish: not really. But I will be taking Spanish lessons while I'm there - 2 hours/day
- Why did you decide to do this: I feel like I've been really caught up in "me" lately and need to focus on others. I also need a break from working and I know my dad wouldn't be cool with me using that break to sit on the couch at home watching TV or reading all day. Plus, who doesn't want to spend 6 weeks in 85 degree weather while it's snowy and cold back home?
I can't wait for Jan 18th to be here! It seems like forever away, but when I look at all the things that are going to happen between now and then (Thanksgiving, Christmas, moving, New Years, etc.) I know it's going to go by fast.
6 comments:
This is so exciting. I can't wait to hear more. Are you going to stop up for a visit before you leave?
How awesome Kristy!! I'm so excited for you. You will be a wonderful asset to their program. I'm so glad you get to be home for Christmas and do what you want to do. Have tons of funs and I hope the moving process goes okay.
that's so amazing, kristy! before deciding on the europe study abroad, i was looking into the romanian orphanage. i knew all i would do is cry and want to take all the babies home with me though (not very helpful) you will be awesome! how lucky for the people of costa rica to have you!
Good for you Kristy!!! That is so awesome that you are just making this happen. I am already excited to hear all about it!
Wow... sounds great! I did a humanitarian project in Costa Rica our senior year and loved it... life changing experience. Good for you!
YEAH!! Kacee keeps me updated on your return and I can't wait! We definitely need to get together this time and when you come back I won't be working so I'm pretty much open! Costa Rica sounds amazing. You should talk to Tony Allred about it (since he served his mission there right?).
Post a Comment