Monday, December 28, 2009

Back home blues

Living in NY the past 2 1/2 years has allowed me to forget (somewhat) that I'm 26 and not married and no prospects. Out there I'm still young. It's totally normal to be single at 26. In fact it's abnormal to be married before that - let alone have a kid or two.

Well...coming back home has been a big slap in the face in this department.

Yesterday I went to church and a girl who I used to babysit walked in with her husband and - you guessed it - a baby bump! I started looking around sacrament meeting and realized that all my old acquaintances were either sporting one or two babies - or the girls who just graduated from high school were sporting large diamonds. And there I was 26, unemployed, unmarried, no kids, and just moved back in with my parents.

I've known that it wasn't going to be easy moving back home. I knew that I would have to deal with the majority of my friends being married and having kids. I knew that I would end up being one of the oldest people in my ward. All this I "knew," but "knowing" is different than actually living it. Seriously, this moving back home is not the easiest thing I've done. It's hard feeling like I'm so behind everyone on this whole "life" thing.

Hopefully things will get better when I get back from Costa Rica, find a job, move out of my parents' home, and find a ward where everyone isn't 19. I know the Lord wants me to be here for some reason, I just wish I knew what it was. For now, I'll just have to put up with things for a few more weeks then it's off to Costa Rica for 6 glorious weeks!!

3 comments:

Jo said...

Darling, just remember that you are a beautiful bud just waiting to bloom!


OMG what if I really talked like that?

Katherine said...

3 of my friends got engaged in the same night, and I can't get a date. So i certainly sympathize. And as for knowing Heavenly Father has sent you somewhere for a reason, but having absolutely no idea what that reason is and growing frustrated trying to figure it out...I DEFINITELY know that feeling. If you want to talk, vent, scream, cry, or whatever, I'm a phone call or gchat away. Just know I love you!! - Kat

Katie said...

Um, remember how I'm 25, soon to be single, and living with my parents? In Bountiful?! Remember how we need to be friends when you get back from costa rica? And ps, there are some young ones in my ward, but I'm kind of in the middle on the age spectrum. It really is an amazing ward, even if it takes a few weeks to get used to. Text me if you want to come!