Sunday, October 24, 2010

One More Month = One More Year

Today is exactly one month from my birthday (Nov. 24 if you didn't want to figure that out on your own haha). I don't know why, but this birthday coming up is really hard for me. Normally it's the milestone birthdays that are hardest for people - 25, 30, 40...etc. But for some reason 27 is it for me.

I was fine with turning 25 - didn't care at all. Maybe that was because I was still considered a child by my friends in New York and being on the younger side of the group helped me feel that way too. Plus I was in Paris on my birthday and can you really have a bad birthday when it's in Paris? I think not.

26 wasn't too bad either. That was probably due to the fact that I was about to make a life changing move (quit PwC and come back to Utah), I was going to Costa Rica in the near future, spent my birthday with lots of friends who I love, and besides...26 doesn't sound THAT old.

But 27...

Man! That sounds OLD!!! I don't feel old, but I am (or I should say will be). Well...I actually do feel old sometimes. It's probably because I'm settled. I have a house. I have a job. I have set down roots. I never thought I'd be where I am now still not married. I figured that if I ever moved back to Utah and bought a house it would be with a husband and kids. If I were to ever think about what my life would be like at 27 (which I never did because who ever thinks about such a random age?) it wasn't what it is now. I'm not saying life is bad, it's just VERY different from what I ever wanted or thought would happen. So in that respect I do feel old...like an old maid.

I never truly understood why women would lie about their age and say they were younger than they really are. Until now. I've considered it. I've considered not letting anyone know it was my birthday and keep on pretending that I'm 26. And the next year, I'd do the same thing. Then maybe I could stay 26 for at least 5 more years (by then I might actually look 26 so then I guess I could start getting older). But in order to really pull that off I'd have to move to where I don't know anyone. And keep moving every year. I mean...everyone knows you're supposed to get older every year even if you don't actually celebrate a birthday.

But really...what am I saying? Move every year for the rest of my life just so that no body knows that I'm on old maid? That sounds ridiculous even to me. So I guess I'll just stay here, put on a happy face, and pretend that it's okay that I'm quickly becoming an old maid and that 27 is just another number - no different than 25 or 26.

1 comment:

Jocelyn Pehrson said...

You could get away with lying about your age. You definitely look younger.