Sunday, February 17, 2008

New Way of Life

Many of you may know that I often go through phases of trying to live a healthy lifestyle - many not lasting quite long enough to even count as phases, but that's another issue that I'll tackle another day. Well, I have just come across my next phase of living. (I'm not going to tell you yet what that new way of life is, so that I can build up the suspense.)

Last night, as I was wandering the streets of New York talking to my mom, I stumbled across Barnes and Noble (which is not surprising at all considering it is almost as common as Starbucks - which, ironically enough, they have inside B&N). Anyway...as I was wondering through the mountains of books I found one that my friend Mikey had read which she said was pretty good. I knew it was a weight-loss/health book written in a non-traditional way, but what it had in store for me far exceeded my expectations.

As I first started reading the book I was thinking that it was just like all the others I had read on weight loss: eating healthy meals (including grains and fruit - aka Atkins diet doesn't really work) + exercising = losing weight and living healthy. What I didn't know was how extreme they would take the eating healthy. And this is where my new way of life comes into play.

The authors started talking about all the nasty things that are found in dairy, beef, pork, and even chicken. And they had quite a few nasty words to say about the government organizations which control meat and dairy farms. Needless to say the book was pretty graphic so I will spare the details of what I read. Basically it convinced me (for the time being at least) that vegan was the way to go. So there you are - my new way of life: Kristy's going vegan.

I can already hear the gasps and laughter as my friends and family are all thinking "but how can you give up steak, chicken, fish, milk (including cereal because you can't have cereal w/o milk), cheese, ice cream, and basically everything good in this life." I'm actually wondering the same thing to be quite honest. But I have decided to give it a try. And hopefully, now that I have publicized my goal for the whole world to see, I can stick with it and see if I can tell a difference in how I feel.

I'll keep you all posted on how well this new lifestyle goes for me. Don't be too surprised if my next entry is all about how wonderful animal products are and how I can't live without them! Haha! Until then...go fruits, vegetables, and tofu!

p.s. Mom don't worry - there are quite a few good vegan restaurants that I know of in NY and I'll discover many more before the end of April :)

6 comments:

katie b. p. said...

You'll have to let me know how it goes! That is a super big goal so I can't wait to hear. Good Luck!

Charisse Baldwin said...

Kristy, don't do it! Extremes in any direction are not healthy! (Besides, you love those things).

Kacee said...

I thought about doing that at one time (while I ate a huge Medium rare steak)!! Just make sure you are eating healthy. I say stick with Organic foods and eat the yummy meats sparingly. Good luck though! You are the hottest accountant I know so live it up! :)

Unknown said...

Vegan, wow! That will be quite an experience. I hope it works for you though. I want to come visit you by the way, but when I do, I'm getting ice cream!

lauren said...

crazy that i found you on here! thank katie's blog. but it sounds like nyc is great. good luck with the vegan thing... i have a bro in law that is for the very reasons you're referring to, and he loves it. but my sis is actually doing it too but in a really unhealthy way. so make sure you get those proteins and other good stuff from great sources like soy, and enjoy the journey. you'll have to let me know how that goes.

xo, lauren lalli soderberg :)

Kimba said...

You are brave! I have a few vegan friends out here, and every time we get together I can't help but think how HARD it is for them to find things they can / will eat! I'm sure NYC has some good restaurants though. :) Post some recipes of things you try! Good luck!