There is one day a year when friends go up against friends, when family ties get thrown out the window, and when you are allowed to act like the biggest jerk imaginable and get away with it. It is a day when everyone is separated into "us" and "them." For this one day it is OK for Mormons to gamble and swear. There are only two colors allowed to be worn on this special day and if you get caught in the right crowd wearing the wrong color - BEWARE! People talk about this day over the pulpit the following day at church either thanking God for their answered prayers, or letting everyone know how they were able to get through the latest trial of their faith. For my family, it is a day when half the people are ecstatic and the other half go home in tears.
If you grew up in the state of Utah then you know what day I'm talking about. If you did not, you may think I'm making up such a day - I promise you I'm not. This is the day of the big game: BYU vs UTAH. The state of Utah is not known for its big football programs, but not many rivalries can match that of the battle between these two schools. This is why it has come to be known as "The Holy War."
Since I can remember, people have been forced to choose a side. Even in elementary school friends wanted to know whether you were a Cougar or a Ute. Most people chose the school where their parents went, but my parents graduated from Utah State, so I was left to follow my own path. For me it was an easy decision - the boy I liked was a Ute so naturally I cheered on the U of U. I even got a coat and hat to declare my dedication to such school (which I think might still be hanging up in my parent's garage in Bountiful). Oh how young and foolish I was back then. I was a Utah fan until I repented and chose to go to BYU after high school. Since then I have been a dedicated Cougar (GO COUGS!).
This game is always fun to watch with my family. Half of us are dressed all in red while the other half is sporting blue. There is much heckling and ill wishing that takes place during the days that precede and follow game day. My birthday is always within a few days of the game and one year my sister lovingly gave me some Ute ice cream after they beat BYU (yes I did grudgingly eat it). Stats from previous games fly around the room like...well...flies. Even my nieces and nephews get into the rivalry. I've never heard so much trash talk come out of a 10 year old than I do during this time of year.
Unfortunately, I will not be with my family this year for the big day. I leave tomorrow for my 17 day excursion to Spain and France (I know - pity me). I have been looking forward to this trip for a while, but I do feel sad that I am missing this game (and the Twilight premiere - don't get me started). However, I did tell Kelli that she should blow up a life-size picture of me, dress it in blue, and every once in a while yell "Go cougs" for me. But since Kelli's a Ute, I don't think my wish will be carried out.
On November 22, however, I will be praying from Spain that my Cougars can keep up their winning streak and beat those Utes. For your viewing pleasure - here is what happened the last two times these two teams met in battle. It still gives me chills every time I watch these videos! Now all that is left to say is... GO COUGARS!!!!
(PS-I hope you noticed my subtle use of colors)
10 comments:
Wow you are such a great writer! You need to publish this article! So to keep my marriage intact I will be cheering loud and strong for BYU! I never used to care who won but I am now a U of U grad cheering for BYU! Go Cougars!!
Yep, I think the TDS will need all the prayers it can get this year so you better be praying hard (no fair about the trip, I hope you have lots of fun. I am throughly jealous!)
And all those TDS fans were so confident they were going to bust the BCS. Nope! Haha!
GO UTES!!!!!!!!!
and i'm a byu grad cheering for the u. have fun on your trip. i am jealous.
go utes! :)
Fabulous post...GO BYU!
I did notice your subtle use of color, especially RED for all the negative words. Traitor. I hope your friend does make a cardboard cuttout of you and puts you in Ute colors.
Anyway, have fun on your amazing adventure, you sassy little globetrotter.
Love this post! I got chills again watching that first video. I think a tear even came to my eye. That was a beautiful play. GO COUGARS!!!
Love the post! The blue and red colors are great. :) I still love watching the "answered prayer" video. It'll be another great game this year. GO BYU!
The red and white ice cream will be waiting for you!
Well, BYU couldn't pull it off (maybe the U paid off our quarterback?). Happy Birthday!
I got chills as well...but moreso for the fact that Max Hall was Utah's best player this year! Seriously, sorry for your loss.
NOT. BCS all the way baby.
Can't wait to see pics of your adventures!
Post a Comment