I don't like doctors.
Let me rephrase that...I don't like going to the doctor. I like doctors. I have 2 in my family and I love medicine. Plus, is there anything better than a young, hot, sexy (& single) doctor? I declare there is not.
Anyway...back to the purpose of this blog.
I don't go to the doctor. EVER. Even growing up we didn't go to the doctor unless absolutely necessary. For the most part, my mom would just nurse us better with foot rubs and a lot of TLC (tender loving care, not the TV channel). I only got physicals when they were required for drill team. So you can easily deduce that once I was out of high school I never had a reason to go to the doctor. If I ever did get sick enough to need a prescription, I would just call up my brother and he would get me what I needed.
So how did I end up with 3 appointments with 3 different doctors in 3 weeks? Well I'll tell you.
My "no doctor" policy remained in effect until THIS happened almost a year and a half ago.
Well, remember how I said that I was going to take care of my little problem? I finally did today. I went to a doctor. My doctor reassured me that most likely the lump was still a fibroadenoma. I was feeling good about things until she said that she recommends I get it removed because it was easily the largest lump she's come across - and she's seen a lot of lumps in her time (her exact words). I was planning on getting the monster removed anyway, but did she really need to tell me that she's never seen one as large as mine? Come on.
Anyway...I scheduled a mammogram and ultrasound for next week and surgery for the following week. That's right - 3 doctor's appointments in 3 weeks. I'm not really looking forward to the upcoming appointments, but it will be good to get this issue taken care of once and for all.
As a side note...I figured that while I was at it, I would get my full physical today since it had been approximately 10 years since my last one. Since I hadn't been to the doctor in so long, my doctor asked when the last time was that I had my tetanus shot. I couldn't remember. I figured it had been in high school. So I got one (that plus blood tests in one day is not good for me - I don't like needles). As I was driving to work later, the pain in my left arm reminded me of a few months ago when I was preparing to go to Costa Rica and I got a...wait for it...tetanus shot.
That's right - an immunization that you're supposed to get once every 10 years, I got 2 of in the SAME YEAR! Needless to say I got a little worried and immediately looked up what would happen if this happened. Result: possible painful swelling at the injection site & a headache. Well...I could have told you that one. My arm feels dead and is considerably larger than my right one, and the longer I sit here the more my head pounds. But good news - those are the only side effects they know of. I guess I can deal with them.
2 comments:
Kristy, you are going to be so relieved to have it out! Plus, it will give you a great opportunity to milk the post-op. Let me know if there's any thing I can do to help.
I hope everything goes okay for you. I hate going to the doctors too, unless I have a really good reason i.e. being pregnant. :) And that is funny about the tetanus shot, I can't remember the last time I got one.
Jocelyn (Reid) Pehrson
Post a Comment