Friday, March 14, 2008

The Long and Short of It

This week was one of the longest weeks but at the same time it went by so fast!!! How is that possible?? It might be because I had a horrible day on Wednesday and I was wishing the week would just end. But at the same time I was so busy at work that the days just flew by.

If I were to go into all the gory details of why my day was so bad on Wednesday you would all fall asleep because it entails a whole lot of tax talk (lame!!!). So I'm going to sum it up by saying that I have never felt more like quiting than I did that day. But I was pretty sure that I wouldn't need to quit since I figured they would fire me before I could put in my two weeks. Basically, I messed up all this client information, and when I would fix one of my errors, another one would be revealed. I didn't know what to do or how to do it - and unfortunately, the jury is still out as to whether I ended up doing it correctly in the end. I'm pretty sure my seniors (bosses) wanted to strangle me because of my immense stupidity. And the worst part was that after I finished screwing up everything, I stopped getting work even though it's the middle of busy season and NO ONE is slow right now.

So I was sitting there thinking that my seniors didn't trust me to do any more work since I would just mess that up as well. Then a friend that I work with (who, in his defense, didn't know what a bad day I was having) basically told me that I had messed things up pretty badly. I'm pretty sure he was kidding around with me, since that's how we are with each other, but it still made me feel pretty crappy. Never before have I felt more incompetent or frustrated with myself as I did on Wednesday. I just wanted to go home and cry, but I knew I couldn't leave because there was too much work to be done in fixing all my mistakes.

Let me finish up my story by saying thank goodness for the Scriptures. Even though it was almost midnight when I arrived at home after work, I knew that I could not go to bed with those negative feelings. I picked up my Book of Mormon and continued where I was reading in Mosiah 1. Isn't it amazing how the Lord knows what you need to read/hear at certain times in your life? Wednesday night was one of those times. King Benjamin's speech was just what I needed to hear after my hard day. As I read his words I felt the Spirit rush over me and I can honestly join with the people of Mosiah when they declared that they had experienced a change of heart. Because of the words which King Benjamin spoke, I have faced the past couple of days with a new perspective and it has made all the difference. Although work was still busy, and I made a few more mistakes, Thursday and today were pretty good. But I am still glad that this week is almost over. I'm ready for a fresh start and a new week.

4 comments:

Elizabeth O. said...

Hi Kristy, Sorry about the bad day. Those are the worst. I'm glad it ended so well though. You're an amazing example for me. Thanks. I miss our late night fun times that we had as roomies. Good luck with everything.

Marissa said...

I am so sorry. I kind of know how you feel. Somedays I feel so frustrated and incompetent...you were probably given way harder work than anyone else..so really you are way ahead of the game...at least that's what i was told after i almost quit because i felt clueless...:) at least it was on a wed and not mon so you only had a few more days! im sure everything got all worked out...

Kimba said...

Ugh, I'm sorry Kristy, I know the feeling! I nearly made an entire group of athletes late for opening ceremonies on Monday because I wasn't in the office for them to get the rental car keys. It's a long story, and it eventually worked out, but I felt TERRIBLE. Here's to a new week! :)

Kacee said...

You are so great! What an example you are to your older sister. I wish I could give you a big hug! I love you little sis and hope all is better this week!