Wednesday, December 10, 2008

To Move AND Not to Move

So today's been a pretty big day for me already and it's still early. But in order for you to be able to understand why, I must take you back...

For the past 15 months that I've worked at PwC, my "desk" has honestly been a windowsill. Now you may be thinking what's so bad about that...I've got a seat with a view, neighbors close by to talk with, and it's much better than being shoved in a conference room with 6 other people. But, while all of that's true, it was VERY welcome news to find out that I have finally been assigned a real cubicle! I got the news last week, but honestly, I didn't want to get my hopes up until I was actually sitting at my new place. And guess what - today was the day of the big move! I have now settled into my new desk and must say that I'm liking it.
I know that it's still pretty boring - no pictures or any hint that I have any sort of personality - but give me time. I'm sure within a few weeks/months/years (yeah right) it'll start looking more Kristyfied. But for now, I'm enjoying the extra space. Here are the top 5 things I like about my new desk:

1- More space for all of my crap (client files, tax returns, etc.)
2- Walls to block out my neighbors' annoying habits (loud eating, nail biting, constant playing with their hair, etc.)
3- No longer have to listen to Lisa's (aka Hyena) 20 different laughs (all as annoying as the others), her constant talking on the phone, or basically just her (it sounds like I'm being rude - but trust me...you would want to get as far away from her as possible too)
4- Drawers! (no - I did not have any sort of drawers at the windowsill and now I have 4!!)
5- Privacy - everyone was CONSTANTLY walking behind my computer at the windowsill so I felt guilty watching TV shows online, reading blogs, playing solitaire, etc. But now, hardly anyone walks behind me, so I can slack off all I want :)

Well...my move was not the only reason to write this blog (as you probably guessed from the AND in my title). Other big news in my life...I'm NOT moving out of my apartment!!! Again, you may be asking what the big deal about this is, but for the past 2 months, I have been on pins and needles wondering if I would suddenly be kicked out of my apartment.

My apartment is for 4 people, and lately there have only been 2 of us living there. Kimmy moved home to Utah (sadface!) and Jamie got married (congrats!) so they have been trying to get someone to move into their room since the end of October. Since the economy kind of stinks right now (surprise!) it's been a struggle. So we also put the entire apartment up for sale to see if our management company could do better.

However, today I learned the good news that I am getting a new roommate which means that I will not be leaving my luxurious apartment (at least any time soon). I've met my new roommate once and she seems super sweet! Her name is Eden and I'm excited to get to know her. She's not LDS which is going to be a little different for me, but I think that it'll be good. I'll keep you posted as to how the new roommate situation is.

So today - I both moved and did not move. Kind of ironic :)

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Congrats on the new desk...that's awesome! :) I think you need to put a picture up of your old "desk"...I can't believe you were at a windowsill! That's crazy! :)

Matt said...

Congrats on the new desk! Funny thing is that although I have a desk, I will never have a permanent desk. At KPMG, we do a hoteling system where you reserve a cube space for a day. Sometimes it is alright, but I really wish I had a larger monitor to work on. When I first started, it didn't really matter because I was rarely at KPMG. But since changing to contract compliance services, I'm in the office almost everyday.