Thursday, December 18, 2008

Ummm...yeah....

Last post I was so excited about not having to move...well...joke was on me! I'm now moving out of my apartment. I found out on Tuesday and I need to be out of my place by Jan. 28. I wouldn't be worried, but I leave on Sunday for Utah and will be gone until Jan. 6! And then to add to all of that, I have training for work in DC the whole week of Jan. 12. So...I've started looking for a new apartment.

One thing that is nice about living in NYC is that the church has a website for LDS singles looking for apartments. So obviously I hit up the site and searched for anything promising - nothing!!! Ok...so really there is a lot available right now, just nothing I'm interested in. I'm being picky about where I live (the Upper East Side below 96th street) but I feel like I'm entitled to that much. I love my ward and friends and I don't want to move away from them.

Anyway...so I don't bore you with lots of little stupid details...I decided to look for my own place! That's right - you heard it here first. I'm going to be living on my own!!! I have a few reservations about living on my own. I'm such a home-body that I can see me becoming a recluse and losing any contact with the outside world. I also kind of feel like I'm throwing in the towel. Am I admitting defeat in finding a husband by getting my own place? (many of you might not get how I could feel that way...but I'm sure someone out there understands where I'm coming from)

And then there's Mom's worry - what if I die...no one would know if I didn't come home for a few days. Or I could be rotting away in my apt all by myself and no one would know until the stench got so bad that my neighbors called the super to come investigate. Then they would say - I have never even seen her before...she keeps all to herself and rarely comes out. She orders food in and so all we ever see is the delivery man. OK - I think I've been watching a little too much CSI - but this is a serious concern. I'm not letting Mom think that I am even worried about this possibility since she's already freaking out at the idea of my being on my own in NYC...so shhhh!!

But I'm also looking forward to having my own place. I will never have to worry about hogging the TV or the bathroom. I can take total control of the decorations and make it look super cute (this is what I'm most excited for right now). And I can also get a kitten!!! Jo and I have been wanting a cat for so long, and if I get my own place we can finally have one (I say we because Jo is going to be over at my place all the time - I've already made her promise). Also - I love my alone time. I've always loved it when my family were all gone and I had the house to myself or when I came home and all my roommates where away. Oh my goodness...I really am a recluse!!

Anyway...I'm off to go look at some apartments before I go into work today (which will put me coming into the office around 2:30). Wish me luck!! I sure hope I find a place that I love. I'm going to miss my current apartment and all its luxury...but I'm ready for this new adventure!

4 comments:

Charisse Baldwin said...

I totally understand the CSI fears (when Richard goes out of town I can't even watch that show, or Law and Order). Good luck on the house hunt!

Brit Bennion said...

Good luck...it sounds like so much fun! But I'm sorry for the stress that it's causing you. But something will turn up that you love!

Marissa said...

i think being picky is good..where you live makes a big difference...but i dont think i would get my own place...i love my space and alone time, but being alone every night would be kind of sad..i dont know...

Kelli said...

Wow, I had no idea until I talked to Kacee. I thought you had your cubicle and apt all figured out but things change fast in your world. Congrats! Now we can come visit and stay with you!