I am the co-chair of the activities committee in my YSA ward. We held a speed dating activity for the stake last night at my church. There was a lot of time and effort put into this by my committee and I and I'm very grateful that it is over!! There were over 200 young single adults who attended this activity (some even coming from CT and NJ). Let's just say it was a mad house! I could bore you with lots of details of how it all worked, but I'm not going to (you can thank me later).
I had a great experience last night. It was a lot of fun and I met quite a few really cool guys (well as much as I could tell after a 3 minute conversation). But there was one experience that deserves to be shared.
I met this guy (we'll call him Tony) who came down from upstate NY to attend this activity. During our brief 3 min conversation, I thought that it might be okay to possibly go on a real date with this guy - no physical attraction, but he seemed fun enough to get to know better. So I marked "yes" on my ballot. However, at the end of the night (after I had turned in my ballot) I realized how wrong I had been. Tony ended up being quite creepy and a little stockerish towards me.
He came up to my friends and I after the activity so I invited him to join in the conversation. After talking with me for not too much longer - he poked me in the side (you know like you did in high school to flirt with someone). This is when I realized that I should have probably said "no." But it got worse. I won't go into all the details, but let's just say that when I told my friends what had happened they advised me to find my ballot and change my answer immediately. So I did...well...I tried to.
Seeing as I was one of the organizers of the activity, I had access to the ballots. I began to search for mine so I could change my answer. Jo had turned mine in with hers and Elyse's all folded together as one. Both Jo's and Elyse's were in the box; however, mine was no where to be found. I went through each ballot 3 times and 2 other people went through them as well. But it wasn't there. We never found my ballot and I'm a little scared that Tony stole it.
Luckily Jo and I were sitting next to each other so we met all the same guys. And since we had already discussed which ones we said yes to and realized that they were basically the same - I just copied hers (with minor adjustments). So don't worry - I can still get dates out this activity - just not with Tony (thank goodness!!).
Well...the activity was a great success and everyone seemed to really enjoy it. There has even been talk of making it an annual event. I'm sooo grateful that it went well. And who knows...maybe I met my EC last night. You have to admit it'd be a pretty wild story to tell my kids.
4 comments:
what a great idea missy!!! im so glad it was a success!!!!
dude, that is an AWESOME idea. way to go. i've had that happen before too, when you think someone is cool at first and then...well, not so much later.
i have to tell you though, i have found that the people that i really don't like at first are often the ones that i end up loving in the end.
i hope that there will be more for you to tell us from this experience!
he was so creepy!
EC??? I am only guessing Eternal companion? Did you move back to BYU or something? Only kidding...looks like fun. Watch out for creepy boy!
Post a Comment