First I must apologize. I feel like I have been so negative in my posting lately. The past few weeks have been hard, granted, but I'm really not an angry person (all the time). But with that said...I need to vent. I'm not writing this post so that people will say "oh, poor Kristy". I'm not writing this for anyone but me. I have to get this off my chest before it festers and I end up hitting someone. So here it goes...
*Warning: don't read if you're in a good mood...you might not be anymore*
Today I had to work. Fine. It's busy season, I get that. I went in early so that I would be able to attend a ward activity tonight. I was at the office by 10:30 (which is like 7 am for a weekend). I had a lot on my plate that had to get done so I wasn't totally planning on making it out by 7 pm though I was going to try. But here is why I was so busy. Yesterday a client sent us their information to do their tax return and my senior expected me to complete it today. That's right...one day turn-around. And unless you've done a partnership return you won't understand the magnitude of this next statement, but the partnership had over 100 partners that I needed to do K-1's for. Basically it was totally unreasonable for him to expect me to get all this done in one day. Not to mention all the other client work that I had to do for my other clients. I had already pushed off work for one client to do a return for another demanding client, and I was once again forced to do it again today. However, that was unacceptable to my superiors. Anyway...at around 9 pm - after finishing the return for idiot client - I checked in with one of my seniors saying that I hadn't gotten to one particular assignment (the last thing on my to do list for the day - so proud of myself) and I asked her if it was ok if I finished them up on Monday (even though I had promised her that they would be done yesterday and at the latest today so that she could review them). But she said that she was planning on looking at the work on Monday and since I don't work on Sundays (I don't care how much pressure work puts on me I refuse to work on Sundays. If Jewish people get Saturdays off, I get my Sundays) I needed to finish up that work tonight. Fine. Whatever. I had promised to get them done and because of stupid clients that are completely ridiculous and demanding, I had to move things around, but I had to stick to my promise. I'm actually not upset with that senior. I like her. She's super nice and great to work for. I'm just pissed off at my other senior...you'll see why soon. So I got to work on that assignment hoping to get out around midnight. But that was not going to happen. My senior (the one who gave me the assignment to get all the work done in one day) called me at 11 to give me corrections that he wanted done before 10 am on Monday. But he made sure that I knew that I should not put it off until Monday morning. And yes - he's Jewish so he has been MIA since sundown yesterday. He knows that I don't work on Sundays and he said that he "respected" that - my butt. And that if I could get most of the stuff done we could have this totally incompetent intern do the other changes. OK - I was an intern once. I did not know everything. I made mistakes. But this intern is crazy bad. She completely messed up my friend's return and my friend had to spend hours and hours re-doing everything. So no...I was not going to let her touch my work that I did. And I told my senior this. I said I did not trust her and so I would do the work myself. I made sure that he knew that he was forcing me to work all freaking night to do his work. I'm sorry - that's completely unacceptable that he would call me at 11 pm to give me work!!! Oh - and he kept me on the phone for over 20 minutes telling me these corrections. He basically reviewed my work while I was on the phone with him. And yes - I was being very short with him and he had to know that I wanted to jump through the phone and strangle him. I'm usually very respectful to my superiors. But I was a jerk to him and I don't care. Oh - so anyway...I did the work that he wanted me to do. I finished that up around 1 am. What a great time to start on other work don't you think? Yeah - me neither. So let's just say that no I did not finish all the work that I had to do. At 1:30 I was too pissed off and tired to give a crap about the work that I was doing and whether they would be mad at me come Monday for not getting everything done. Heck - I don't even know what I was doing in the first place, so I figure that all the things that I haven't done yet will just be added to the long list of corrections I need to make. Oh well. I don't' care. I don't care if they fire me. I don't care if my manager is pissed of at me and I don't get promoted. Actually, I hope that I don't get promoted. I couldn't handle more stress than what is already on my plate right now. Plus I don't expect to be working at PwC for much longer. Who would want to work at a place where you are given a new assignment to complete that night at 11 pm ON A SATURDAY!!! Who do these people think they are? ARGH!!! (apparently I'm turning into a pirate in all my rage). And yes - it's busy season. But it's March. If it were April 14th it would be a different story. Why does this stupid client need to have their stuff done now? Because they are freaking ridiculous and unreasonable. I was the only one on my entire floor (CREEPY!!!) and most likely the whole building. No one that I worked for was online - they hadn't been for hours. Even my Jewish senior didn't feel like it was necessary to work late even though he was demanding the life be sucked out of me for him. I really don't like him right now. Honestly I have quite a bit of hate in me right now. That's why I had to write this post. I had to get it out so that it didn't fester. Yes - it's helped a bit (even though I'm still raging and could go on much much longer about all the things I hate about working at my company - but I won't). Honestly, if this had happened on another day or when I wasn't already completely bugged with my senior, today wouldn't have been quite as bad. But it happened today. And apparently I couldn't handle it. Oh - and it didn't help that all I've eaten today is an omelet and fries for lunch and mini Cadbury eggs and Dr. Pepper for dinner. And I'm tired as all get out. But I couldn't sleep with all this rage building up inside me. So there you have it...I'll end my venting session now.
Again - I'm sorry for this post. I hope that it hasn't made you think any worse of me. No I'm not perfect (surprise surprise). And honestly I hope that no one actually read the whole thing - if you did I truly am sorry. And I'm sorry if my awful mood has rubbed off on you. And Mom - I'm really sorry for ruining your night with Dad. But thanks for letting me call and vent to you and making me check back in every so often to get an update on my status. And thanks for your prayers. Though I'm pretty sure I drove the spirit far away from me with all this hate I have, I'm sure you're prayers helped me not kill anyone. If only I could be watching a movie with you while you rubbed my feet - that's all I need right now. I need my Mom! I need a hug! I need to find another job that I actually like.
3 comments:
I am sending you virtual hugs! Sorry you had to deal with the Kristy!
i'm so sorry you had such a bad day at work. it really sucks when your superiors expect you to have a work ethic that they themselves do not have. and a blog is a lovely place to vent, so you shouldn't feel bad about that at all!
i personally have a lot of respect for you, not giving into what would have been perhaps the "easy" thing to do and work on a sunday. i think that's really great.
hope that today is a better day for you! :)
Kristy, I just read what happened in March. I am sorry you had so much pressure on you. I also think it is great that you love your family so much and can count on them. My prayers are with you. I could not imagine being so far away from family.
Love Stacey
Post a Comment