Saturday, April 24, 2010

A little change in attitude

...goes a long way!!!

When I first started attending my YSA ward in Bountiful, all I could see was a bunch of young immature kids I wasn't interested in getting to know. I missed my friends and ward in NYC and knew that this new ward would never be as fun as M3W so I wasn't even going to try. Most Sundays I'd talk to maybe 1 or 2 people - if any (I'm not kidding when I say that one Sunday I didn't talk to a single person for the entire 3 hours). I was miserable. I dreaded going to church and had to force myself out the door every week. I had one friend in the ward, but a couple weeks she wasn't there and plus she does have friends in the ward and I just didn't really care to meet new people.

It didn't help that I was busy with work so didn't have time for FHE or other activities. But let's be honest, even if I had the time I wouldn't have gone. I didn't want to know any of these "losers" of the YSA ward - I mean, they are pretty much all living at home with their parents...if that doesn't spell LOSER I don't know what does. (Yes - I do realize that I was totally being a hypocrite seeing as I am currently living at home with MY parents).

But 2 weeks ago I decided that I needed to get over myself and change my attitude about my ward. After this decision I went to church determined to meet new people. And guess what - there are some great people in my ward! I would even enjoy hanging out with some of them (and when I say some - it's because I've only met a handful so far and I don't want to get ahead of myself).

I have been so proud of my efforts over the past 2 weeks. I actually went to a "linger longer" at the Bishop's house last week after church and talked to a bunch of people. And today, I went and helped paint the fence around the Bountiful Temple and again hung out with some people in the ward. While I was painting, one guy that I met on Sunday even came up to me as if we were good friends and started painting with my group.

I know it might seem like a small thing...but I feel like I'm finally beginning to have friends in Bountiful and I know I can chalk it all up to the change in my attitude. I just regret that I gave up so much time when I could have been getting to know more people. I only have 4 months in this ward, and I've already missed some great opportunities. But not anymore. I'm determined to take full advantage of being able to meet great people in Bountiful while I can. I'm starting to like my ward and I actually look forward to going to church tomorrow to see my new friends!

No comments: