Monday, July 19, 2010

Busy Busy Busy

I had a VERY busy week last week.What started out as a fairly normal week (work, FHE, Bachelorette, SYTYCD...the usual) finished with a bang! On Thursday I was sitting at work keeping busy with 990's until lunch when it suddenly hit me that I was moving into my house this weekend and had A LOT to do. So...after I finished what I was working on, I headed to Ikea to pick up a dresser and other things I needed for my new place. Then I went home, changed into grubby clothes and headed...well...home. Haha! Luckily my dad was feeling generous and offered to come help me put together me dresser even though he DETESTS Ikea and he was in the middle of planning his Sunday school lesson.

I was SO glad he was there. After already spending a lot of time putting the stupid dresser together, we realized that something was wrong...one of the boards had been drilled/painted incorrectly so it was showing the unpainted side instead of the nice, black painted side. After a lot of grumbles and comments of how stupid Ikea is and how it's the worst place in the world, my dad drove to the hardware store to pick up some wood glue so that we could finish putting it together. Man - that thing took a LOT longer to put together than I had planned on. It's a good thing it's really cute :)

But I wasn't finished for the night after that. Kacee came down and we cleaned and scrubbed the house until midnight! It was a lot of hard work, but I was grateful I had Kacee there to do it with me. I was exhausted and very ready for bed by the time I got to my parents' house.

Then Friday was moving day! I woke up bright and early with the realization that I had only 3 boxes packed (purses, coats, and scarves/hats/gloves). Thankfully my nieces were there to help me. They were so excited when I said that I had a lot of packing to do! We got big black garbage sacks which they diligently stuffed with clothes from my floor (don't judge) and drawers. We quickly got my whole room packed and ready to go. They were like little packing machines! It was great!

Then the real fun began. My car was stuffed with my belongings and my dad even had to take some down in his truck. After unloading this first load, we headed to Orem to pick up my bed. It's a great bed. I love it. It's beautiful. It's very comfortable. It's great. But on Friday I kind of hated it. It's big. It's heavy. It killed my right foot when the corner dug into it...twice. It didn't fit (laying down) in my dad's truck so we had to switch thing around a few times. The mattress almost flew out of the back of the truck going over the point of the mountain (I almost made my niece reach her hand out the window to hold it). And it wasn't any easier getting it into my house.

Oh -  did I mention that it was also the hottest day of the year and my dad's truck registered 104? Yeah...

Then there was the couch to move in. Thankfully my brother-in-law and a friend came to help get that one into my house. My dad and I never would have been able to. It was heavier and harder to manipulate that the bed.

We also had bookcases to build, walls to scrub, floors to vacuum, floors to sweep & mop, boxes to unpack, things to buy so the furniture didn't scratch my wood floors, etc.

Around 8pm - after a long day of moving and cleaning, my parents and niece decided they had had enough and were done for the day. I had had enough too, but I was being left in a disaster (only one bookcase built, couch on it's side awaiting felt pads, dust bunnies galore on my wood floors, no boxes unpacked, things every where, and a list of necessities to buy). My mom said she hated to leave me in that state...but she still left. They all left. And I left to Walmart to pick up the necessities.

But on the way I broke. I mean...I really broke. I sobbed. I screamed. I ranted. I raged. I listened to angry music because that's how I was feeling. I cried the whole way to Walmart. There were still tears in my eyes as I walked into the store, grabbed a cart, pulled out my shopping list and headed down the aisle. Man - all I have to say is retail therapy works people! I mean REALLY works!

By the time I left Walmart I was no longer crying, and I had a new resolve to put together the bookcase by myself and maybe even start unpacking some boxes. It also helped that I knew I had Ben & Jerry's ice cream (Half Baked), chips w/ salsa con queso, and a good chick flick awaiting me when I finished things on my to do list. Well...I put that bookcase together, uprighted my couch, put a few things away, then settled in to watch When In Rome with my two best friends - ice cream & salsa con queso - even though it was 11:30 pm. It was a great way to end a very long, tiring, frustrating, and physically and emotionally draining day.

Saturday went much better. I still had a lot of things to do around my house. I still hadn't unpacked any boxes and my hung up clothes were still at my parents house. I also had a laundry list of things I needed to buy. Plus my house was still a mess. So I woke up early and started cleaning. I vacuumed, swept, mopped, etc. I then headed up to my parents' house to get the rest of my clothes and belongings and to enlist my mom's help in my shopping.

While going through my closet we found some great treasures. My NBA All-Star Weekend T-shirt of 1993, mine and Kacee's basket ball cards (John Stockton, Carl Malone & Scotty Pippin were just some of the cards I pulled out at random...we have a few boxes full of them), posters of old Jazz teams (from late 80's and early 90's), posters of teen stars from my junior high years (circa Jonathan Taylor Thomas era), old photos of my friends and me from way back when, and much more. We were laughing so hard.

Then there was work to do. We loaded all my stuff into my car, unloaded all my belongings and then headed out to do some shopping. I picked up a vacuum, slip cover for my couch, paint for my wall (the guy at the painting store probably thought my mom and I were idiots from all the questions we asked him...but whatever), some household items, and few items of food. Then I headed home for some more cleaning and organizing before I headed out for the night with friends.

Thank goodness I have friends. I needed a break from house stuff for a night desperately!! We went and saw Inception starring Leonardo DiCaprio. It was AMAZING! SO GOOD! LOVED IT! MIND BLOWN! Oh - and did I mention that we also went to Nielsen's Frozen Custard and I got a chocolate oreo concrete...yum!!

Then on Sunday night I had friends over for a friend's birthday party. It was fun. We played Battle of the Sexes, and even though we "tied" the girls actually won because the guys insisted there is too big a difference between "alternate" and "alternating" and therefore we got the answer wrong. Dumb guys. People were over to my house until almost midnight.

Needless to say, I am VERY tired this morning from such a crazy week last week. But I have to say I came away from it pretty well off. Sure I have a lot of bruises and some scrapes (the biggest bruise being from the vacuum falling on me while vacuuming the stairs). But my house is looking pretty good and I had a fun Saturday and Sunday. But...I am kind of hoping this week will be a little less eventful.

PS - I promise one of these days I will post pictures from my trip to NY and Moab.
PPS - And I will post pics of the new house soon as well. I don't have internet at my home so I can't upload anything at this time.
PPPS - that whole 30-day shred & no sugar thing kind of flew out the window with all the mayhem that was my life last week. But I am starting a new today. Wish me luck!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a busy busy weekend! So glad you're moved in though. When are you going to have a house-warming party? Because I will be there!

Jo said...

My poor Kristy...

Did I tell you I decided to do the 30 day Shred with you? Day two baby...pretty sore.