This post is a few days late in coming; but honestly, I've been really busy and haven't had much time to sit and blog. So I apologize. I also apologize for the length...
Well, Sunday was quite the day for me, my family, and well...America. Sunday was Sept. 11. Now, unless you've been living under a rock for the past 10 years, you know what that day means. It was the 10-year "anniversary" of the terrorist attacks on our great country. I can't believe it's been 10 years! I still remember that day like it was almost yesterday.
I was a senior at Bountiful High School. I heard the terrible news the moment I got to school. I had choir with Mr. Smith first period - it was Xela, the women's show choir. I remember Mr. Smith rolled in a TV so that we could watch the news footage. It was so sobering. None of us could believe our eyes. Who would do this?!?! Why would anyone do this?!?!
Because the Olympics were coming to SLC in 2002, our choir was learning patriotic songs (not only did we do a patriotic concert, we were privileged to sing as the Olympic torch was carried around the track at BHS). That day, singing those songs meant much more than they had just the day before. I had never felt so much love & pride in my country. I was proud to be an American! It was difficult to get through the songs without crying, but we sang about the love of our country as best as we could.
My next class was Human Anatomy. The second class started, my teacher said that she wanted every single one of us to call our parents and just tell them how much we love them. If we didn't have a cell phone, she said we could use hers (remember 10 years ago when not everyone above the age of 10 had a cell phone?). She too wheeled in a TV so we could continue watching the news coverage.
Later that day I had my second choir class. It was pretty much a repeat of first period (minus the TV & plus more people - including guys). The power with which we sang those songs was tangible. Again, it was hard to sing them without crying. But no one wanted to sing any of our other songs. So we continued to show pride in our country which had just been attacked.
No, I did not know anyone at the time who was in either of the Twin Towers. I had yet to have any real connection to NYC. It wasn't my city yet. I didn't have the love for the city that I do now. But that didn't matter. It wasn't just the city that was attacked. It was the country. It was every single American. Man, woman, child. We were all effected by it. Life has never been the same for anyone.
After living in NYC, I have met many people who did live in NYC at the time. Some have miraculous stories to share of how they should have been either in one of the towers or in the surrounding area that day, but for some reason, they weren't there. There are stories of bravery & heroism. There are stories of loved ones being lost. There are stories of being so scared for their lives they didn't know what to do other than pray. We each have our story of what happened on that fateful day. Some are like mine - from a distance. Some are first-hand experiences. But whatever our story is, we all have one. We will never forget the day when country-wide, the Earth stood still. It's amazing how drastically things can change in the blink of an eye.
Another reason why Sunday was such an emotional day, was because it was my parents' farewell. My parents spoke to their ward the day before they left for the MTC to serve the Lord as missionaries. For some reason, I had agreed to sing on Sunday. I sang a beautiful arrangement of I am a Child of God. I was VERY nervous that I would not make it through the song. You see, I'm a crier. Like big time. I'm the worst in the fam. But that morning I prayed so hard that I wouldn't cry during my mom's talk or during my song. I wanted to be able to deliver the message of the song. I wanted to be able to share my testimony through the song as well. Plus I didn't want to look like a fool.
Well, my mom started speaking. I paid as much attention to it as I dared to. There were times, when she began to get teary-eyed that I had to start thinking of something else. Only once did my eyes begin to well up with tears. But somehow I was able to push them back in. Then it was my turn. I didn't dare look at my family as I sang. I knew if I did, I would lose it. I couldn't even look at my parents as I walked by them on the way to the podium. But guess what...I made it through the song! I think I sounded pretty good too (I hate saying that, it sounds like bragging).
I know that I was not alone up there. I had angels watching over me. Do you know how I know that? Because the SECOND I sat down after singing, I completely lost it! I mean, there was even a sob in there. Ask anyone around me. All the emotion that had been held back by the dam broke through with a vengeance. Luckily I had B there to hold my hand through it all. I don't think he really knew what to do as I sat there and cried. But there wasn't anything he could do but just sit there and hold me. And that's what he did - so he passed :)
After church, we had all our family up for some good food & good-byes. (B came up too...but more on that another time, maybe). Later, my parents were set apart as missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Oh man...that was TOUGH! The stake president made all the kids tell our parents how we feel about them. He could tell I was already losing it (yes...I started crying during the opening prayer before any of this had even begun), so we started youngest to oldest. Thank goodness!! I barely made it through as it was. Man, I was a mess. But again, I had B there to hold my hand & help me get through it. (Wow...that day had to be pretty crazy for him. Meeting my ENTIRE family for the first time, all at once, then having me completely bawling a couple of times & him not really able to do anything. I should apologize for putting him through that.)
By the end of the day, my parents & I (and I'm sure the whole fam & B) were drained! We were so tired - both emotionally & physically. It'd been a loooonnngggg day! But we made it through! It was a very wonderful day. I'm glad my parents had such a special day.
On Monday I said good-bye to them as they were driving to the MTC that morning. But they are only gone until Friday night, so it wasn't a tearful good-bye. We're saving that for this coming Monday when Cori & I take them to the airport. I've already told my work that I won't be coming in that day. I'll be WAYYYY too emotional to be productive. I plan on spending most of the day crying. But we'll cross that bridge when it comes. As for now, I'm going to relish in the fact that through a miracle & the help of the Lord, my parents & I were able to make it through a VERY emotional day without looking like bumbling idiots & totally cry babies. And that's saying something for us.
Man, I'm sure glad Sunday is over & done with! Now if only Monday can go as well...
No comments:
Post a Comment